Thread

Subject: Updateslast
Pages: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13

Messages / 51 to 100 of 604

51)Johnny(Overlord)
- A "Resign" option has been added.  Players who would like to restart or are no longer interested in playing can now delete their country from the game.
Tim_the_Surveyor wrote on :
With Alliances possibly being tied to the game and a player being limited to being in just one, maybe we need another "something" to take the place of current alliances.

Not all alliances may be for the purpose of combining attacks.  Some may be for the purpose of discussing various things that may or may not be with "friends" that you don't want the whole world to hear...
I have that same problem right now.  I have a someone I would like to bring into our fold, but I don't know him well enough to trust him with our published battle plans on our forums.  It would be nice to be able to control who in the alliance had access to which alliance forum maybe, perhaps splitting up the forums into General/Military sections.  Would that solve things?
what about an option to kick someone from the alliance? ie: if a player decides to break ranks and attack his fellow alliance mates
54)Johnny(Overlord)
parandiac wrote on :
what about an option to kick someone from the alliance? ie: if a player decides to break ranks and attack his fellow alliance mates
Yep, that's definitely something I need to add.  I think I just set it up as quickly as possible to get them available, but then I forgot to finish it up!  We need an option to remove, and an option to withdraw.
55)Johnny(Overlord)
Boogra wrote on :
Would that solve things?
I think that might be a bit confusing (especially to new players), so we'd probably need two separate sections.

Maybe alliances can be more like "teams" and incorporated into the game (with sharing and such), and then I can create a new "discussion groups" or "rooms" option within the message board.
When the maintenance fee come online, will it be charged against troops only or will aircraft/bases/turrets be paying as well?  If it is only troops then bring it on, I am ready...  Please just don't charge turrets as I am building a shitload of them...
everything requires maintenance to keep it in good repair. water/electricity/gas/etc

with the extremely tine resource draw from each square, there should be an even smaller fee for units. i think the resource figure is too small as it is, and see no need for a unit maint fee.
parandiac wrote on :
with the extremely tine resource draw from each square, there should be an even smaller fee for units. i think the resource figure is too small as it is, and see no need for a unit maint fee.
the purpose of the maintenance fee, as discussed earlier, is to kind of level the playing field for smaller countries. (it's on his to-do list)  Yes the resources are fairly low, but this forces one to be more strategic...  You can't just buy missiles willy nilly...  mind your pees and ques and you can have plenty of money.  Besides, we don't want Johnny sitting back, getting rich, building massive troops, and waiting for the "perfect" time to just roll over all of us...  It's bad enough he will have more money than god...  we wouldn't want him to have that AND a shit load of tanks, ships, etc.

And if you think you are out of his reach, remember, he has money and has plenty of time without stepping on any toes...
the purpose of the maintenance fee, as discussed earlier, is to kind of level the playing field for smaller countries. (it's on his to-do list)  Yes the resources are fairly low, but this forces one to be more strategic...  You can't just buy missiles willy nilly...  mind your pees and ques and you can have plenty of money.  Besides, we don't want Johnny sitting back, getting rich, building massive troops, and waiting for the "perfect" time to just roll over all of us...  It's bad enough he will have more money than god...  we wouldn't want him to have that AND a shit load of tanks, ships, etc.

And if you think you are out of his reach, remember, he has money and has plenty of time without stepping on any toes...
the return for mining resources is .015% or something ludicrously small.

say my daily income is $10k for argument's sake. if each troop/plane/ship/missile has a cost, it will have to be ludicrously low as well, otherwise you will break even until you get rid of all your troops, and then what is the purpose of the game?

if there is going to be a troop cost, the resource draw should be boosted. yes, it means more money. it also means that resources disappear faster. the troop maint fee should still be very small though.

and for all your clever ideas, why not suggest a dollar amount instead of threatening me with johnny's military.
also, for the record, my income was about 13k at update this morning. i can't buy missiles willy nilly because i'm buying troops to spread out on Callandor and transports to shuttle contrucks around.

if you really want to keep people from buying missiles/bombs/planes easily, then up the prices and don't add a unit maint fee.

because realistically, nukes cost a hell of a lot more than 80k. if i were setting the price, i would make it 1mil and make the damage radius larger. missiles would be 10k and would have the same radius. aircraft would cost 4k each.

that would do more for strategy than trying to code in a per unit fee.
parandiac wrote on :
the return for mining resources is .015% or something ludicrously small.

say my daily income is $10k for argument's sake. if each troop/plane/ship/missile has a cost, it will have to be ludicrously low as well, otherwise you will break even until you get rid of all your troops, and then what is the purpose of the game?

if there is going to be a troop cost, the resource draw should be boosted. yes, it means more money. it also means that resources disappear faster. the troop maint fee should still be very small though.

and for all your clever ideas, why not suggest a dollar amount instead of threatening me with johnny's military.
Dude you seriously need to chill.  He didn't threaten you with Johnny's military.  He's pointing out the fucking facts that Johnny can reach anyone he wants to.  You need to relax man.  Not everyone wants to fight with you every time they disagree with you.  Your hostile attitude is getting a little old, man.
Boogra wrote on :
Dude you seriously need to chill.  He didn't threaten you with Johnny's military.  He's pointing out the fucking facts that Johnny can reach anyone he wants to.  You need to relax man.  Not everyone wants to fight with you every time they disagree with you.  Your hostile attitude is getting a little old, man.
qqmore

"And if you think you are out of his reach, remember, he has money and has plenty of time without stepping on any toes..."

a threat of force with a military that tim doesn't control. it would be nice if he actually provided input and discussed ideas instead of just pushing the ideas from one pile to another.

here's an idea:
resource draw is 0.015% converted into dollars of the total resources that a nation controls
unit upkeep is $0.0025 per unit

tim's "idea" is to explain how we need this for balance, when we don't, and it only makes johnny's job more complicated. he brings nothing to the table, and the discussion would be better off if he acknowledged that he has no real input and abstained from commenting.

so my idea is that johnny ignore the unit upkeep and do this instead:

compared to current pricing
1. ground units cost double
2. sea units cost triple
3. missiles cost 5k each, deal a little more damage, but less splash damage
4. aircraft cost 10k each(which is still a steal since any aircraft produced today costs multiple tens of millions)
5. "bombs" or nukes cost 1mil each, double the splash radius, and the damage dealt

see? this isn't hard. now if anyone wishes to discuss this idea, feel free. if you want to tell me that we need a unit maint fee, feel free to get ignored.
parandiac wrote on :
qqmore

"And if you think you are out of his reach, remember, he has money and has plenty of time without stepping on any toes..."

a threat of force with a military that tim doesn't control. it would be nice if he actually provided input and discussed ideas instead of just pushing the ideas from one pile to another.

here's an idea:
resource draw is 0.015% converted into dollars of the total resources that a nation controls
unit upkeep is $0.0025 per unit

tim's "idea" is to explain how we need this for balance, when we don't, and it only makes johnny's job more complicated. he brings nothing to the table, and the discussion would be better off if he acknowledged that he has no real input and abstained from commenting.

so my idea is that johnny ignore the unit upkeep and do this instead:

compared to current pricing
1. ground units cost double
2. sea units cost triple
3. missiles cost 5k each, deal a little more damage, but less splash damage
4. aircraft cost 10k each(which is still a steal since any aircraft produced today costs multiple tens of millions)
5. "bombs" or nukes cost 1mil each, double the splash radius, and the damage dealt

see? this isn't hard. now if anyone wishes to discuss this idea, feel free. if you want to tell me that we need a unit maint fee, feel free to get ignored.
HE'S REMINDING YOU OF THE OBVIOUS.  HOW COULD HE THREATEN YOU WITH SOMETHING HE DOESN'T CONTROL.

Seriously dude, you're the most paranoid kid I've ever gamed with.
I'm not against the idea of a maintenance fee, I'm just not sure it's going to achieve it's purpose in leveling the playing field for smaller countries, since smaller countries need proportionately larger militaries to establish themselves than say an older country surrounded by allies.

Since you can spring a pretty huge number of units into existence over night, there's almost no need to keep units when you aren't at war or expanding. If I'm not mistaken that would allow an established nation to downsize it's military and just keep a number of strategically located bases on boarders of concern while raking in the cash. Meanwhile a new nation like mine must produce new units every turn in the hopes that I can spread fast enough to stand a chance against the much larger nations that are expanding toward me and have ignored my requests for peace.
Boogra wrote on :
HE'S REMINDING YOU OF THE OBVIOUS.  HOW COULD HE THREATEN YOU WITH SOMETHING HE DOESN'T CONTROL.

Seriously dude, you're the most paranoid kid I've ever gamed with.
it's not paranoia. i'm not scaed of johnny's navy. i'm amused that he is puerile enough that he has to keep pushing something and then try to make me step in line by threatening me with something he can't use.

you're probably the thickest kid i've gamed with.
StarScream wrote on :
I'm not against the idea of a maintenance fee, I'm just not sure it's going to achieve it's purpose in leveling the playing field for smaller countries, since smaller countries need proportionately larger militaries to establish themselves than say an older country surrounded by allies.

Since you can spring a pretty huge number of units into existence over night, there's almost no need to keep units when you aren't at war or expanding. If I'm not mistaken that would allow an established nation to downsize it's military and just keep a number of strategically located bases on boarders of concern while raking in the cash. Meanwhile a new nation like mine must produce new units every turn in the hopes that I can spread fast enough to stand a chance against the much larger nations that are expanding toward me and have ignored my requests for peace.
i agree that it won't help. large nations will still have lots of moneu and won't have an issue paying the maint fee. while small nations will suffer.

don't speak up too loudly though, because tim will be by in a bit to remind you how much we need this.

and then boogra will be by to drop an all-caps post and call you a child.
parandiac wrote on :
i agree that it won't help. large nations will still have lots of moneu and won't have an issue paying the maint fee. while small nations will suffer.

don't speak up too loudly though, because tim will be by in a bit to remind you how much we need this.

and then boogra will be by to drop an all-caps post and call you a child.
Here's a thought...

I don't care one way or the other.  All I did was ask a question about something that is in the works, I didn't offer a new idea.  You chose to blow it up.  I guess because it might make your gaming a bit harder and felt the need to rehash this.

Also, if you increase the price of everything, then fledgling countries couldn't even get started.  There is no way to really make things level between a new country and a super power.  I had made the comment in another thread to make the cost increase the further from the capital you were (for the purpose of penalizing the larger country) but I believe you shot that down as well.

I will continue to empire build with or without a maintenance cost.

As for details like .015 and .0025, I say that is a bit of micromanaging.  These forums are for helping the developer not telling him exactly what to do.
Here's a thought...

I don't care one way or the other.  All I did was ask a question about something that is in the works, I didn't offer a new idea.  You chose to blow it up.  I guess because it might make your gaming a bit harder and felt the need to rehash this.

Also, if you increase the price of everything, then fledgling countries couldn't even get started.  There is no way to really make things level between a new country and a super power.  I had made the comment in another thread to make the cost increase the further from the capital you were (for the purpose of penalizing the larger country) but I believe you shot that down as well.

I will continue to empire build with or without a maintenance cost.

As for details like .015 and .0025, I say that is a bit of micromanaging.  These forums are for helping the developer not telling him exactly what to do.
you care enough to post though.

i understand increasing the price of everything makes things harder for new nations. it also makes it harder for big nations to spawn 30 full strength tanks overnight for a surprise invasion. something a new nation won't be able to do anyway. yes, growth will be slower at first, but then it will ramp up as the nation gains more land. so i fail to understand your point about small nations. perhaps if you said something besides "nuh uh."

increasing the cost as a factor of distance makes more sense now that i've thought on it further, but it appears that johnny isn't considering this idea anyway.

and the 0.015 and 0.0025 was an idea. not hard numbers that i want the dev to use. but at least i'm presenting an alternative. the maint fee of 0.0025 makes it small enough that the small nations will be able to handle it, but it really does stack up for big nations with several thousand structures/units- even though you're already plotting to escape paying up by begging for a no structure tax.
69)Johnny(Overlord)
- Keyboard shortcuts have been added to the game.  A "Settings" page has been added that allows you to define the keys you'd like to use.  (Please note that the ctrl key is no longer used as the clone attack key.  Please define a custom key instead.)
Johnny wrote on :
- Keyboard shortcuts have been added to the game.  A "Settings" page has been added that allows you to define the keys you'd like to use.  (Please note that the ctrl key is no longer used as the clone attack key.  Please define a custom key instead.)
Does the custom setting allow us to one click a full strength unit?
Johnny wrote on :
All I get when I click settings is the ability to adjust map size.
Boogra wrote on :
All I get when I click settings is the ability to adjust map size.
settings is on the main page of GT not the game

Johnny, can you add "Create Turret"

Could you also add to the settings section an ability to set the strength of the item you are creating like "create turret key will make a turret __ strength"

If the person wanted to do something else, like make a single jeep, they could do it the old fashioned way.
73)Johnny(Overlord)
Boogra wrote on :
Does the custom setting allow us to one click a full strength unit?
Not now, but I have plans to modify the game so that the creation commands allow you to select a strength (perhaps with a keyboard shortcut, too) when you create units.
74)Johnny(Overlord)
Johnny, can you add "Create Turret"
Yep, I'll probably get to some more updates tomorrow.
could we get clone unit purchases as well?
supercoolyellow wrote on :
could we get clone unit purchases as well?
This.
WTB chronotroopers.
78)Johnny(Overlord)
- "Settings" now allows you to select keyboard shortcuts for defense turret commands.

- "Settings" also now has an option to enable an immediate move after a unit is created.  (This may be more practical in the near future, after the game is updated to select a unit strength when creating it.)

- A "Treaties" button has been added to the game that lists/highlights your existing treaties and any pending treaty requests.
Johnny wrote on :
- "Settings" now allows you to select keyboard shortcuts for defense turret commands.

- "Settings" also now has an option to enable an immediate move after a unit is created.  (This may be more practical in the near future, after the game is updated to select a unit strength when creating it.)

- A "Treaties" button has been added to the game that lists/highlights your existing treaties and any pending treaty requests.
*Snuggles Johnny*

I noticed that some of my pending treaty requests are with nations which no longer exist.  Would it possible to get these active/pending treaties eliminated from the list when the nation in question no longer exists?
80)Johnny(Overlord)
Gopherbashi wrote on :
Would it possible to get these active/pending treaties eliminated from the list when the nation in question no longer exists?
Definitely.  I'd say that's definitely a flaw I need to correct!
81)Johnny(Overlord)
- The unit creation and air attack functions have been updated.  Drop-down boxes have been replaced with clickable values, but you can also select the value by hovering over the row and hitting the numerical key on your keyboard.  Additional functions will be updated soon.
Johnny wrote on :
- The unit creation and air attack functions have been updated.  Drop-down boxes have been replaced with clickable values, but you can also select the value by hovering over the row and hitting the numerical key on your keyboard.  Additional functions will be updated soon.
I don't see tanks on the list though.  Am I missing something?
Johnny wrote on :
prices being listed would be helpful.

Awesome update though.
prices being listed would be helpful.

Awesome update though.
Do you see tanks when you click units Yellow?
Tanks appear on unit creation for me.  Construction Trucks at the top, followed by infantry, jeeps, and then tanks at the bottom.
Boogra wrote on :
Do you see tanks when you click units Yellow?
I do see them.
I do see them.
I see trucks, infantry and then jeeps.  No tanks, and no bottom border - just the bottom of the table cut off.
88)Johnny(Overlord)
The old functions have been restored until I can correct the issue.  Boogra, I'll follow up in a note.
89)Johnny(Overlord)
I've updated the functions, so helpfully everything will work correctly now.  Please let me know if you run into any other problems!
Johnny wrote on :
I've updated the functions, so helpfully everything will work correctly now.  Please let me know if you run into any other problems!
Oustanding!  Well done, indeed sir!
91)Johnny(Overlord)
- An "Opinion Polls" link has been added.  I plan to use this page regularly to get feedback on various features of the game.  You must have an account to respond.
Johnny wrote on :
- An "Opinion Polls" link has been added.  I plan to use this page regularly to get feedback on various features of the game.  You must have an account to respond.
How about some way of responding?? I see nothing there (yet)
Just click on the option (the text, not the bar).

Also, can't we already see enemy naval units on the map?
Johnny wrote on :
- On the World overview, you can now add a reminder "pin" to the map by holding the Ctrl key when clicking.  To delete the pin, hold Ctrl and click it again.  (This will likely be most useful when spotting and tracking enemy ships.)
Would it be possible to change the "delete" key to Shift, or basically anything other than Ctrl?  I've been using pins to track unit movement over time, causing me to accidentally delete pins when they're at a certain angle relative to the one I'm trying to put down.
I just have to say that the new unit creation and air attack system are a drastic improvement.  Very nicely done, Johnny.  Combined with the atuo-move function, it makes building and deploying an entire army a breeze.
96)Johnny(Overlord)
Boogra wrote on :
Very nicely done, Johnny.  Combined with the atuo-move function, it makes building and deploying an entire army a breeze.
Thanks!  I think things are wrapping up nicely.  A few more updates and I think it'll be ready for beta!
wait, new map?
a restart at beta would be interesting, though a continuation of the current political situation is always fun.  things are just starting to get heated up in the east
Elno_Wildclaw wrote on :
a restart at beta would be interesting, though a continuation of the current political situation is always fun.  things are just starting to get heated up in the east
Two maps then, perhaps?  All those who wish it to finish this map and start anew as well?
Yeah, I think two maps could be cool.

Of course - would people be allowed one nation in each, or only one nation total?  In the interests of fairness to new players, I could see benefits of the latter option.
Page of 13

Message Board

Categories

Search