Thread

Subject: Updateslast
Pages: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13

Messages / 451 to 500 of 604

451)Johnny(Overlord)
- Countries joining after a world has launched will now earn $12,000 plus $1,000 for each day the world has been open.
452)Manaco
Johnny wrote on :
- Countries joining after a world has launched will now earn $12,000 plus $1,000 for each day the world has been open.
Cool. By the way, what's the income for a country who didn't expand at all since day 1? i.e. inactive.
453)Johnny(Overlord)
- In order to make the game a bit more fair to people who joined before the per day rate increased to $1,000, every active country has received $900 for each day between the day they joined and the day the world launched (i.e. the different between the old rate and the new rate).
454)Johnny(Overlord)
Manaco wrote on :
Cool. By the way, what's the income for a country who didn't expand at all since day 1? i.e. inactive.
455)jeepn
Johnny wrote on :
- Country profiles have been added to the site.  A "Country Profile" link appears in the main menu, allowing players to upload a flag and enter background information about their countries.  The site will be updated to link to country profiles (newest players list, alliance pages, etc.) in the near future.
maybe you could link the countries listed in each players profile to the country profile. 

I like the idea of the country profiles, but they might get more use if there were easier ways into them.
456)Johnny(Overlord)
jeepn wrote on :
maybe you could link the countries listed in each players profile to the country profile.
Yes, it'll be linked to wherever the country name appears.  I just haven't had a chance to do many updates lately.  Hopefully soon.
Johnny wrote on :
After fighting 2 upstart countries on E-map with the new country money system, I dislike it.
  Poof out of the savages of the unorganized territory of the map, comes the Mongol horde. Pain in the ass. The best hope is to attack them directly, hope you annoy them enough to have them quit the map. I would rather have them have them get a smaller amount and as a incentive to new players on an old world, money caches at old capitals. Oh, lookie, lookie what I found.
Thank you,
IC
E-map - Lydia
458)Yulin
Have to second IC's thoughts.  It sounds good on paper, but I've had two countries just appear overnight and blow away several days worth of production due to the amount of cash.they had available.  Maybe spread the payments out over a few days time, so they don't just show up tons of money?

Yulin
459)Vorgse
I think the amount of money upstart countries get should be based on map size.

I started a country on Cerato to try this new feature out, and everything went well for about a week, then I had used all my upstart money and was easy prey for the much larger countries around me.
Vorgse wrote on :
I think the amount of money upstart countries get should be based on map size.

I started a country on Cerato to try this new feature out, and everything went well for about a week, then I had used all my upstart money and was easy prey for the much larger countries around me.
then don't start on a map that is well developed. this isn't rocket science. and if you were able to shoot your wad and then a week later a large country took you out, they're doing it wrong. they should have nuked you the first day you dropped a nation.
461)Johnny(Overlord)
Vorgse wrote on :
At this point, unless you're joining near an existing player/alliance that will allow you to survive, joining Cerato wouldn't be about fighting to win.  It would just be to play the game for the fun of it, to test out a strategy, or perhaps to annoy a player.
462)Vorgse
Johnny wrote on :
At this point, unless you're joining near an existing player/alliance that will allow you to survive, joining Cerato wouldn't be about fighting to win.  It would just be to play the game for the fun of it, to test out a strategy, or perhaps to annoy a player.
Yeah, that's what I was doing...

And yes I did take a pair of nukes on the first day.  I was mostly commenting on the fact that people felt some upstart countries were getting too much.  I was showing the contrast where the $200,000 I got for starting on Cerato was nothing compared to the $30+ million people have in the bank.

Most people no my feelings that there will never be a true winner on Cerato, by the time the largest countries have a stand off land area will be so big, and each player will have several hundred million saved up, it''ll come down to whoever can stand 3 hour long order issuing sessions the longest haha.
What about that, the very long order issue time?

Can some commands be made such as, "move randomly" or, "move in general direction"?

What about being able to scroll through your units or order a bunch to move at the same time?
Sort of like highlighting a large group of your units and giving them a goto target, or being able to select all units within a set range and being able to give them all the same order at once.

Also how about giving a command to set a long distance destination  target, or allowing units to accept move orders for several days worth of moves.

Also it would be nice to see the flight paths of attacking jets. It's hard to tell sometimes if you're going to fly over some enemies or just near them.
464)Manaco
ckeveny wrote on :
Also it would be nice to see the flight paths of attacking jets. It's hard to tell sometimes if you're going to fly over some enemies or just near them.
I really like this suggestion. It would be great to have the option to see jet/missile paths on zoomed view.
ckeveny wrote on :
What about that, the very long order issue time?

Can some commands be made such as, "move randomly" or, "move in general direction"?

What about being able to scroll through your units or order a bunch to move at the same time?
Sort of like highlighting a large group of your units and giving them a goto target, or being able to select all units within a set range and being able to give them all the same order at once.

Also how about giving a command to set a long distance destination  target, or allowing units to accept move orders for several days worth of moves.
But then what's the point of playing? The game already does enough for us. With perpetual attacks I can set my moves and not even log in for 3 days or so. I think a lot of people need to make more use of the shortcuts....It cut the time it took to set attacks in half for me. On a world like Cerato you're bound to be setting attacks for a while but on a world the size of borogrov or drypto you're looking at 20 mins tops with the shortcuts...and thats factoring in the time to check elsewhere on the particular map.
466)Manaco
In response to the way your polls work;
Is there a way to tweak it so that we could see exactly how many people actually voted on it? I can't tell if it's only been 6 votes or 60 votes.

In response to your last poll, I think having it at $1,000 (or even $2,000) is pretty nice, considering.
In 1 month time after a world begins, a new country gets to have $30,000 plus the initial start-up fund. In 2 months, $60,000. 3, $90,000.
A world would have to actually continue for more than five months before a country could buy a bomb on the first day (and then pretty much be able to do nothing for a while) One could instead use the bomb money to buy 18-19 L9 tanks.
That's after five months worth of gameplay. That honestly is laughable. After five months, any countries still playing and still at a decent power would have no problem handling one bomb being targeted at them. It may even be insignificant, considering the sizes.

With $2,000 instead, that's a bomb in just under three months. It might make some sort of an impact, but not very much so.

Now, consider this, A country who joins on the first day and miraculously managed to stay untouched (but never played) and accumulates up the daily income of $8,000 (?) that's a bomb in 20 days, less than a month.

So that is why I voted for $1,000-$2,000, because it honestly will not affect much against developed countries but it does allow new countries to have more spending money to "have fun" before they most likely get their asses handed to them in the next few days that follow.
467)Manaco
A thought came to me but I couldn't find anything in the forums; I was selling units and accidentally clicked on a water sector and brought up its info. I saw that its material value was zero. At first I didn't realize it was a water sector I had clicked and that's when I thought of something possible.

You mentioned earlier that a ship occupying a sector puts the sector under your control, even though it's not shown on the world map. I was wondering, do the sector you are controlling adds to your total sectors or income?

If yes to income, what about the possibility of underwater deposits? They could be displayed on the world map the same way the raw material overlay does. The deposits could be extremely valuable (and thus a significant area) and would encourage sea-to-sea warfare, trying to keep control of the deposits. To keep control of deposits, simply have a unit on the sector. Without an unit, you do not own the sector and therefore do not get the materials.

I think this could really be something interesting to do.
Manaco wrote on :
A thought came to me but I couldn't find anything in the forums; I was selling units and accidentally clicked on a water sector and brought up its info. I saw that its material value was zero. At first I didn't realize it was a water sector I had clicked and that's when I thought of something possible.

You mentioned earlier that a ship occupying a sector puts the sector under your control, even though it's not shown on the world map. I was wondering, do the sector you are controlling adds to your total sectors or income?

If yes to income, what about the possibility of underwater deposits? They could be displayed on the world map the same way the raw material overlay does. The deposits could be extremely valuable (and thus a significant area) and would encourage sea-to-sea warfare, trying to keep control of the deposits. To keep control of deposits, simply have a unit on the sector. Without an unit, you do not own the sector and therefore do not get the materials.

I think this could really be something interesting to do.
Actually that sounds rather interesting. Would really give warships more of a field in this game.
469)Johnny(Overlord)
Manaco wrote on :
If yes to income, what about the possibility of underwater deposits?
I don't really like this idea.  I think it would just lead to sea units parked across the entire map, which gets a bit silly.
470)Manaco
Johnny wrote on :
I don't really like this idea.  I think it would just lead to sea units parked across the entire map, which gets a bit silly.
how would this be any different from L9 tanks with L9 turrets in a line just sitting there on defense?

I think I meant that for the most part, all water sectors have zero material values, and only certain specific sectors in a cluster actually provide material values, not every water sector having varying values. Have 95% of water sectors stay at zero value, and manually choose a specific area or two to make it material-rich.
471)Manaco
I just noticed! Top 20 countries can be clicked on. I'm liking it!
472)Johnny(Overlord)
Manaco wrote on :
and manually choose a specific area or two to make it material-rich.
Oh, I see.  I'll give that some thought.
then put a little "city" label in the hex.
474)Johnny(Overlord)
- Gallimi will permanently close at 3:59am.
475)LCCX
Perhaps add an "oil rig" base that a construction truck could build from a transport and you have to have a rig on the material-rich sector to get its value? I like the idea in principle, but I'm not sure how might be best implemented.
Feature request. The ability to add air units to airfields within range of the target without having to find them by moving from the target zone to the each airport.

I would like the option from the pop-up screen on where/how many air units you wish to use on the target. This will allow faster restock of air units and on bigger maps/ larger fights this will increase the speed of the set.
I would be nice if I could restock all airfields within range in this manor not just the one I wish to use on the selected target.
Thank you,
IC
477)Johnny(Overlord)
- A glitch in the mass vacate function in Gallimi prevented the map overview from properly being updated.  It has been corrected.
478)Manaco
Another thought, on the list of all worlds, there should be a place on each world indicating the day/month/year that the world started or how old the world is.
479)Hogan
LCCX wrote on :
Perhaps add an "oil rig" base that a construction truck could build from a transport and you have to have a rig on the material-rich sector to get its value? I like the idea in principle, but I'm not sure how might be best implemented.
Do we get oil spills too?
480)Johnny(Overlord)
- The start days for Jaxarto and Kota have both been extended one week.  Jaxarto will now begin on 9/13 and Kota on 9/20.  This is to ensure the worlds begin with an ample number of players.
Johnny wrote on :
- The start days for Jaxarto and Kota have both been extended one week.  ...This is to ensure the worlds begin with an ample number of players.
Think about this though....

I'm guessing a major factor in the slow joining of the new worlds is due to people (several which I know of) who prefer to wait to see how the spawning starts before picking their spot. And it's only natural given that spawning availability is dependent on the position of previous joiners.

It's therefore of particular advantage to wait: jumping too early means someone else can spawn close and block/limit your intended sprawl, and jumping in late means you can choose an open/less competitive area where you can grow big away from the early fighting.

I'm betting that aside from newer players who don't know any better, you're going to see a lot of GT vets wait until sometime after day 1.
482)Manaco
actually, it's the newer players (but experienced with a world play) who will wait until Day 1.

Veterans, like me, have no qualms being the first to establish a country.

Can't say the same for Kota with its random placement though. I actually think in this case, the quicker you set up, the better off you are. I love my spot on Kota.
483)Manaco
Whew, Johnny, I got to say after playing several worlds and some at the same time, I certainly can see this game becoming very alliance-oriented if there are no limitations placed.

That said, there should be a whole bevy of alliance features, small and large, some have already been mentioned.

I wanted to wait until after Kota, but I do think free-for-all maps (at least one Open FFA world) would be a huge difference in playing styles and would most likely cause the normal maps to surge in alliances. My influence on several worlds have caused it to ultimately become two mega alliances going at each other. Anyway I'll see if my opinion changes after Kota.
I think non-alliance maps will only encourage people to use 3rd-party message boards.  The only difference will be we cant see each others moves directly.

Manaco, I haven't been around long enough to know about the alliance limitations you say have been mentioned before.  Which of these are you recommending and why?
I'm with Manaco, here.  On Jax, I already have an invitation to join an alliance from a previous world.  I opted in, because I like working with these players, but with the two major alliances on Iguano taking up (pretty much) the entire playing field, and the same players likely to ally on new and future worlds, there exists the possibility of creating a gaming environment where we always have the same groups battling against one another.  Having some sort of limitation where you can only ally with the same players on "X" number of maps doesn't seem like a bad idea and would serve to greatly vary gameplay and strategy from one map to another.  I don't know what Manaco's ideas/suggestions encompass, but some limitation on continuous alliances from one world to the next seems like it would serve gameplay rather than detract from it.
486)Manaco
GholaMaster wrote on :
I think non-alliance maps will only encourage people to use 3rd-party message boards.  The only difference will be we cant see each others moves directly.

Manaco, I haven't been around long enough to know about the alliance limitations you say have been mentioned before.  Which of these are you recommending and why?
But no air support, or have to work it really carefully with your 'partners' to avoid hurting each other on air attacks.

That is HUGE.

I'll troll forums and compile an alliance-related post later.
487)Johnny(Overlord)
- Several bugs have been fixed:

a) The land unit move function allowed land units to be moved onto bridges at an angle.  There must now be a horizontal or vertical path (as is the case with attacks).

b) The sea unit merge and split functions did not correctly handle carriers and frigates, resulting in "ghost" air bases.  The functions have been fixed and the ghost bases have been corrected.

c) Vacating a sector made objects in adjacent water sectors disappear on the screen until it was reloaded.  (To clarify, the actual objects were not affected in any way.  They only appeared to disappear temporarily.)
How about you first have to sign up for a world. Then when signups are done, every country has 2-3 days to select where to start. This doesn't solve the "pick at the last second" issue, but at least you'll know exactly how many plan to start as soon as possible, instead of possibly waiting for the last day.
489)Hogan
Johnny wrote on :
- Several bugs have been fixed:

a) The land unit move function allowed land units to be moved onto bridges at an angle.  There must now be a horizontal or vertical path (as is the case with attacks).

b) The sea unit merge and split functions did not correctly handle carriers and frigates, resulting in "ghost" air bases.  The functions have been fixed and the ghost bases have been corrected.

c) Vacating a sector made objects in adjacent water sectors disappear on the screen until it was reloaded.  (To clarify, the actual objects were not affected in any way.  They only appeared to disappear temporarily.)
Thanks for the fixes Johnny!
490)Johnny(Overlord)
- I've caught up on the bug list and all major components of the game have been more or less completed.  So, I'm officially moving the game from Beta to v1.0!
491)Manaco
Wow! This calls for a party.
I'll call in a nuke strike. Hot time in the old town tonight. We can roast marshmellows in the afterglow.
-IC
Congrats Johnny!
Right on man!  Thanks for all your hard work dude!  Glad to be part of the evolution.
495)Johnny(Overlord)
- The chat room now has an audio icon that can enable/disable sounds when another user enters, leaves, or enters text.
496)Rick
1.0!  Congrats!
Johnny wrote on :
- The chat room now has an audio icon that can enable/disable sounds when another user enters, leaves, or enters text.
LOL!!  Bitchin!!
498)Manaco
Johnny wrote on :
awesome!

Any chance of adding in an option for flashing on the taskbar? Just wondering if that's easy to do or not - I'm deaf so sound-related stuff wouldn't work for me.
499)Johnny(Overlord)
Manaco wrote on :
Any chance of adding in an option for flashing on the taskbar?
The only way I can do that is if I wrote an actual chat application, where I'd have access to Windows and send it the signal to flash.  Within a Web site, there's no way to cause that.  (That's a good thing, though.  Just imagine the abuse of that. haha)

What I can do is alter the title text for the window and cause it to change around a bunch, so it would cause a visual distraction.  I'll play around with that and see how if I can make it work well.
500)Manaco
Thanks! Keep me posted about it.
Page of 13

Message Board

Categories

Search