Thread

Subject: Air attackslast
Pages: 1

Messages / 1 to 17 of 17

1. Can you attack a target with more than 9 jets? 

2. Can you reset or cancel an attack on one particular target? 

3. Can you attack more than one target using one jet attack?
What happens if you air attack a sector when there's no enemy unit on it?  I thought you couldn't capture a sector by air attack, so why does that option exist?

What happens if you air attack a sector when there IS an enemy unit on it?  Does it actually attack the unit?  If there is more than one unit, which does it attack?
George wrote on :
2. Can you reset or cancel an attack on one particular target?
I discovered the answer to this one is yes, by going back to the base and clicking the attacks option on the base, then clicking the attack in the list to cancel.
George wrote on :
1. Can you attack a target with more than 9 jets?
The answer to this seems to be yes, by repeating the setting of the attack.  I thought repeating the action of setting the attack would cancel the first setting, but it seems to just add on.

It'd be nice if there was an option to just type in the # of jets you want to attack.
5)WML
George wrote on :
I discovered the answer to this one is yes, by going back to the base and clicking the attacks option on the base, then clicking the attack in the list to cancel.
I had no idea you could do that.  Thanks.  Boy do I feel stupid.
6)WML
George wrote on :
The answer to this seems to be yes, by repeating the setting of the attack.  I thought repeating the action of setting the attack would cancel the first setting, but it seems to just add on.

It'd be nice if there was an option to just type in the # of jets you want to attack.
It /is/ additive, but here's the caveat to that:

If you attack something with really good defenses such that it is able to shoot down all 9 jets without sustaining any damage, then all you are going to do is lose jets.  It's like there's a "squadron" of up to 9 jets that you can send at once.  Even if you repeat that three times, it sends three sets of 9 jets, not 27 jets all at once.  Therefore, for something like an L9 jeep, you /might/ be able to get away with it, but don't send 70+ jets at a base with a defense turret on it because you'll just lose your money and neither the base nor the turret will sustain a lick of damage.
Thanks... that doesn't make sense to me...  I wonder if he designed it that way on purpose.

So there's no way to kill a base with a DT with jets?

Does someone know any answers to post #2?
George wrote on :
What happens if you air attack a sector when there's no enemy unit on it?  I thought you couldn't capture a sector by air attack, so why does that option exist?

What happens if you air attack a sector when there IS an enemy unit on it?  Does it actually attack the unit?  If there is more than one unit, which does it attack?
If you attack a sector with no enemy unit on it, I would assume the attack would be launched with no damage done. The only useful purpose for this that I can think of is dropping a missile or bomb next to another nation's territory whom you are treatied with, thus damaging whatever units they have nearby.

As far as attacking a sector with a unit on it, the attack will go through any unit or DT first, as in firing missiles or bombs on an enemy base.
I think it may be possible to kill a DT+base with jets, but it is very expensive and may require several rounds of 9 jets.  Most players use missiles to kill a DT+base.  This takes about 7 missiles or so.  I can guess that 7 rounds of 9 jets would also do the job, but it would be about twice as expensive.

2)  You can't cancel any single attack from an air base.  If you need to cancel one, then you have to cancel them all.  Players have made suggestions to change this, but so far it has not been done.  It might be a bit tedious to program it...  I'm not sure.
Actually there is a way to kill just one attack from an airbase. But you need to know which one you meant to cancel. After setting up your mistaken air attacks. Click on your airbase and select the button that looks like a 'T'. It brings up a screen much like the create attack window. The attacks are listed from oldest at the top left to the bottom newest. click on it to cancel it.
-IC
11)WML
Rick wrote on :
I think it may be possible to kill a DT+base with jets, but it is very expensive and may require several rounds of 9 jets.  Most players use missiles to kill a DT+base.  This takes about 7 missiles or so.  I can guess that 7 rounds of 9 jets would also do the job, but it would be about twice as expensive.
I can almost guarantee this is impossible.  I was sitting around on Salta with money to burn one time and I launched an attack against, well, you Rick.  It was your last DT+base in parandiac's territory and I thought, "well, I have all these jets sitting around and nobody to attack with them, so why not try to take out that base?"  Using my kill chart I estimated 62-63 jets would do the job, so I sent 72 since that was divisible by 9 and gave me some wiggle room if my initial estimate was a little off.  When I came in the next morning and looked at it, the DT and base were still both "high" and all of my jets were dead.  Therefore, I'm fairly certain that there is absolutely no way to kill a base+DT with just jets unless you plan on throwing thousands of them at it and, even then, I don't know that it would work.
12)Rick
Wow, cool.  I never knew you could cancel attacks like that.  After all this time...

I'll take your word for it WML.  I've never tried it before.
Cool, thanks for all the good info y'all.

I have realized now that I would do the 'attack sector' option to go after a base, instead of attack unit, since a base is not considered a unit.  So that's why the option is there to  attack sector.
Hey George I asked Johnny once why in my battle log i win all my air attacks Yet i still have less planes the next day, you may notice this to, later he replied;

"The Battle Log actually only reports whether an attack was won or lost. If you lose some jets in the attack but still win overall, it will simply display as a win. (This is true with land units, too, where the strength of a unit may decrease even if you win the battle overall.)

So, while you may have won the attacks listed in your Battle Log, you likely also lots jets during the attacks."

so hope that helps shed some light on air units and attacking
SR
How would you attack a base (or really anything) with missiles?

And also, do DTs have a range, or do they just protect the airspace directly above them?
Capt. -
Attacking with Air power is simple.
Steps:
1) buy an airbase.
2) decide which air unit to buy.
-    planes can possibly return and be reused. Range 250 sectors to target.
-    missiles are one way and hit hard. Range is 500 sectors to target.
-    bombs are nukes. they are only if you have money to burn or need the big guns. They are never cost effective on a per troop basis. Range is 1250.
3) click on airbase to the +/- symbol. Adjust your air units to the amount to wish. (Yes you can sell air units this way.) Note: missiles can only transfer to ships if next to them and do not transfer otherwise. Bombs may be the same but I have never tried. Airplanes can transfer to other bases as their movement. Range is 250 between air bases.
4) Go to the target area and click on "air attack". this is the plane symbol. If you have air units in range, it will pop up a window with the air base numbers on it. Each air base attacks individually. You can't schedule 5 planes from 1 base to join up with 4 from another as one attack.
5. Once you have an attack set, you can use the redo attack with air units as well to take out a whole army.

You can cancel an air attack at the base. You need to remember the exact location or unit number you are attacking in order to cancel the right attack.

DT have a range of 1 sector in all directions. Don't attack them with jets. That is just plain dumb. One lone base takes about 8 lvl9 jet attacks to kill it, or 4 missiles.

HTH
-IC
Thanks IC! I am sure I will be referring to this thread when necessary.
Page of 1
«Previous Page|Next Page»

Message Board

Categories

Search