Thread

Subject: Multiple Accountslast
Pages: 1

Messages / 1 to 26 of 26

I see a couple of players who obviously have multiple accounts.  This can't be allowed is it?
Just noticed this myself. If this is allowed, it makes the gameplay suspect at best.

I have no problem with being able to rejoin once your initial country is destroyed. But to allow one user to have multiple countries allows a strategic advantage.
3)Johnny(Overlord)
Having multiple accounts on TMS is a violation of the Terms of Use.

My options are to block the same IP from accessing with multiple accounts (which certainly isn't foolproof by any means, and could block some legitimate users), or to make a judgment call on a case-by-case basis (which can get tedious if the game really takes off at some point).  Any better suggestions?

In the meantime, I'll just have to flag and remove accounts.  And just so everyone's aware, I'm going to err on the side of being overly protective.
might want to do something about the clusterfuck in the south that happened like yesterday.
When people are intending to grief, like in the case to the southwest (four accounts made around one and zerg rushed the one) where they placed so close to each other. Those are the easy to see cases and probably the most harmful.

Not sure how your code is written, but could be some flags to help out. Like when people place to close to an another persons base to help attack the enemy with the rush of money from the initial start. The code might be able to see such a close action.

It is all up in the air, the hardest cases being the more legit looking ones. (My brother and I both play this from the same computer...)
Ponats wrote on :
When people are intending to grief, like in the case to the southwest (four accounts made around one and zerg rushed the one) where they placed so close to each other. Those are the easy to see cases and probably the most harmful.

Not sure how your code is written, but could be some flags to help out. Like when people place to close to an another persons base to help attack the enemy with the rush of money from the initial start. The code might be able to see such a close action.

It is all up in the air, the hardest cases being the more legit looking ones. (My brother and I both play this from the same computer...)
But you had a sex change recently, so you and your brother are pretty easy to tell apart.
Thankfully I was spared just enough to sack one of the capitals and reclaim it so I can rebuild. I'm going to go about and reconquer the rest of my surrounding territories in the meantime but the nations surrounding what was mine are all the same player. We know its the same player (we being Violent) because we played with this guy in another game.

The same guy also holds the nation of Vuhgeck to the south of me as well.

But yeah that kinds sucks starting off and getting sacked by a multiboxer ><
Zeph wrote on :
Thankfully I was spared just enough to sack one of the capitals and reclaim it so I can rebuild. I'm going to go about and reconquer the rest of my surrounding territories in the meantime but the nations surrounding what was mine are all the same player. We know its the same player (we being Violent) because we played with this guy in another game.

The same guy also holds the nation of Vuhgeck to the south of me as well.

But yeah that kinds sucks starting off and getting sacked by a multiboxer ><
yo sup zeph
Simple fix:
1. Require multiple players playing from the same IP address to notify you in advance of their intention to do so.
2. Make it illegal for accounts on the same IP address to work together in any way. (Can't attack the same enemy, etc.)

First offense, all accounts involved are frozen for three days or a week, second offense and all but the first account registered from that address are closed/banned, third offense and that IP is permanently banned.
10)Johnny(Overlord)
Ponats wrote on :
The code might be able to see such a close action.
I think there are a number of strategies that could be affected by multiple players, so I think it would be very subjective.  I think the best route would be to have some sort of reporting mechanism (currently the boards, I suppose), where I can then review some info and make a judgment call.
11)Johnny(Overlord)
corey375 wrote on :
1. Require multiple players playing from the same IP address to notify you in advance of their intention to do so.
2. Make it illegal for accounts on the same IP address to work together in any way. (Can't attack the same enemy, etc.)
There are a few problems with this fix.  The first non-technical issue would be that no one ever reads anything when they create accounts or sign up for things online. haha  So, no one would know to notify me first.

The main issues are that (1) a player can access from multiple IPs and (2) most users won't be on static IPs.  I think these sorts of things will require human eyes.

There is, of course, another solution that would prevent much of this, something I've always had to consider but that many people won't be thrilled with (most likely, anyway): charging a small fee to play the game.  At some point, I have to figure out how to make money just to get my little LLC up and kicking a bit!  I don't really have any sense of whether people would be willing to pay, though.  What's your guys' feelings on it?  No one's going to choose to pay over getting something free, of course.  I completely understand that.  But, for the sake of getting an opinion, what are your thoughts on paying, say, $4.99 for three months of access?
Johnny wrote on :
There are a few problems with this fix.  The first non-technical issue would be that no one ever reads anything when they create accounts or sign up for things online. haha  So, no one would know to notify me first.

The main issues are that (1) a player can access from multiple IPs and (2) most users won't be on static IPs.  I think these sorts of things will require human eyes.

There is, of course, another solution that would prevent much of this, something I've always had to consider but that many people won't be thrilled with (most likely, anyway): charging a small fee to play the game.  At some point, I have to figure out how to make money just to get my little LLC up and kicking a bit!  I don't really have any sense of whether people would be willing to pay, though.  What's your guys' feelings on it?  No one's going to choose to pay over getting something free, of course.  I completely understand that.  But, for the sake of getting an opinion, what are your thoughts on paying, say, $4.99 for three months of access?
I'd pay $5 for three months.
13)Johnny(Overlord)
Boogra wrote on :
I'd pay $5 for three months.
Thanks!  I was starting to hear crickets in this thread. hahaha

The more I thought about it, the price of a happy meal for three months of gaming seemed like a pretty fair deal to me.  I especially like that it would cut down on a person having multiple accounts.

In any case, if I did add a payment, it wouldn't be until the beta was complete, which will probably be quite a while.
Sorry, but i wouldnt pay. Id rather click on ads (maybe if you pay, the ads go away?)
Love the game
I don't see why someone wouldn't pay the equivalent of less than 7 cents a day for access to a game that's lots of fun.  I piss away more than 7 cents a day anyway.  Hell, I spend $5 -$10 a day smoking...such a waste.
A repeating charge might be a deal breaker for some.  One thought might be to allow a 7 day "demo" with a charge at the end of that of say $5-$10.  Many people have jumped into the game, only to not return.  It might even be possible in the beta end to charge $1 just to "verify" accounts.  You wouldn't make diddly squat, but it would prevent people from creating false accounts.  The problem with charging it that there are a lot of free games out there and people are cheap.  I would buy in for as much as $10.
Tim_the_Surveyor wrote on :
A repeating charge might be a deal breaker for some.  One thought might be to allow a 7 day "demo" with a charge at the end of that of say $5-$10.  Many people have jumped into the game, only to not return.  It might even be possible in the beta end to charge $1 just to "verify" accounts.  You wouldn't make diddly squat, but it would prevent people from creating false accounts.  The problem with charging it that there are a lot of free games out there and people are cheap.  I would buy in for as much as $10.
I'd do a recurring charge.
18)QiKe
Johnny wrote on :
Having multiple accounts on TMS is a violation of the Terms of Use.

My options are to block the same IP from accessing with multiple accounts (which certainly isn't foolproof by any means, and could block some legitimate users), or to make a judgment call on a case-by-case basis (which can get tedious if the game really takes off at some point).  Any better suggestions?

In the meantime, I'll just have to flag and remove accounts.  And just so everyone's aware, I'm going to err on the side of being overly protective.
I would like to say that me and my brother play and therefore, blocking accounts sharing the same IP would render both unable to play. We are legitimate players and would be disappointed by such an event.

I suggest a group of selected individual to monitor and moderate
QiKe wrote on :
I would like to say that me and my brother play and therefore, blocking accounts sharing the same IP would render both unable to play. We are legitimate players and would be disappointed by such an event.

I suggest a group of selected individual to monitor and moderate
i agree, i know this is a tricky situattion, i know there are some people that abuse the ability to make extra accuonts but i know that there are people that have mutiple legit players on one computer, for example, my brother and his 2 roomates all use the same computer. i also got started off the same computer and now i use my home computer.

i also helped a freind create an account off of my home computer but i dont think he carried on w the game.
Johnny wrote on :
Thanks!  I was starting to hear crickets in this thread. hahaha

The more I thought about it, the price of a happy meal for three months of gaming seemed like a pretty fair deal to me.  I especially like that it would cut down on a person having multiple accounts.

In any case, if I did add a payment, it wouldn't be until the beta was complete, which will probably be quite a while.
id deffinately pay $1 for three months thats legit plus this is an awsome game!!!
Not sure if this was suggested or not, but make it a rule that different accounts on the same ip cannot play on the same map.  Seems that there is enough maps now that even allowing the same account play on different maps wouldn't pose any issues.....
blake6489 wrote on :
Sorry, but i wouldnt pay. Id rather click on ads (maybe if you pay, the ads go away?)
Love the game
I like this idea. We're already constantly in debt, I wouldn't be able to play if there was even a $5/3 month charge... (Although I see there are already ads floating about)

Re: Blackthorne: I play on all of the open maps, and I was going to get my brother to play, so that would still close some people out.
Actually, Johnny has stated that he intends to keep a free version.  I think only one map at a time and maybe limited on some of the commands and not being able to create an alliance and and and...  But still free...
Tim_the_Surveyor wrote on :
Actually, Johnny has stated that he intends to keep a free version.  I think only one map at a time and maybe limited on some of the commands and not being able to create an alliance and and and...  But still free...
I didn't see that. Good, then :P
Blackthorne wrote on :
Not sure if this was suggested or not, but make it a rule that different accounts on the same ip cannot play on the same map.  Seems that there is enough maps now that even allowing the same account play on different maps wouldn't pose any issues.....
some people have service providers that don't have static IP addresses. any time they reconnect to the internet, they are assigned a new IP, so that would be an easy way around the IP ban.

$5 for three months is more than reasonable. this is a game, not a necessity of life. if you can't pay it, pay your bills and come back when you can.
Mabey make part of it for subscribers, like special maps or special scenarios.  Or even the oppertunity to buy some bling for their country.  Campaign ribbons or something like that that can be put on the profile.  Tired so probably making no sense.

In anycase I have enjoyed this so far, for all I have been plaing less then a week.  If I continue to enjoy this and don't hit any real bugs I plan on dropping a few bucks into it.  For the good of the order
Page of 1
«Previous Page|Next Page»

Message Board

Categories

Search