Thread

Subject: Database Issuelast
Pages: 1

Messages / 1 to 12 of 12

1)Johnny(Overlord)
It appears there may be a bug in the current version of the database on which GT runs. Nothing's changed within the game, but the database is now misbehaving.

I have to make a change to the tables that store sector data in order to prevent the bug from causing problems within the game. The downside is that the game may run more slowly due to the change.

Basically, when asking the database for information about the sectors, I wasn't getting consistent answers. For example, if I asked for a list of all of the land sectors owned by a specific country, one time it would return the correct response and then a second later it would return incorrect values, or no sectors at all.

This came to my attention because an abandoned country wasn't properly removed from a world. When it asked for all of the sectors in order to remove them, it returned an empty set and none of the sectors were properly updated. The thing I'm especially worried about is if the check on sector count ends up returning an empty set and a country is eliminated from a world completely!

I've checked and rebuilt the tables, tested with and without using the cache, checked and cleared the cache, etc., but nothing cleared up the issue without making structural changes to the table.

If anyone's interested in the technical info, it's a MySQL database and the sector table for each world is partitioned. When partitioning is removed, all of the queries work perfectly. So, I'm removing the partitions for now, which means changes to the sector table now have to work with a much larger table and may run more slowly.

My biggest concern is how it will affect the Daily Cycle, but I don't have another option at the moment.
Would this cause the map to freeze up. Have had trouble lately with the map freezing up and have to wait for the program to respond.
3)Johnny(Overlord)
Robert_E_Lee wrote on :
Would this cause the map to freeze up. Have had trouble lately with the map freezing up and have to wait for the program to respond.
I've only seen issues with incorrect database query results myself. I'm not aware of any slowdowns or lockups.

When this happens, is it the Web browser itself that stops responding, or can you still drag the map around and such but there's just no response from the server when you click?
4)Johnny(Overlord)
Johnny wrote on :
It appears there may be a bug in the current version of the database on which GT runs.
When I have some time, I'll also have to look into what's changed with MySQL and see if downgrading to the previous version is a better option for me. If that's an option, I can repartition the sector tables and the game should be back to normal.
Johnny wrote on :
I've only seen issues with incorrect database query results myself. I'm not aware of any slowdowns or lockups.

When this happens, is it the Web browser itself that stops responding, or can you still drag the map around and such but there's just no response from the server when you click?
The Browser is freezing up and its happen to me in both firefox and chrome somedays and times it can be bad other times not so much. It maybe a problem on my end. I am forced to live with att dsl
Don't know why its taking out things I built yesterday. Like I made like 4 construction and made some DT but it seemed like they were deleted.
7)Johnny(Overlord)
Beasty wrote on :
Don't know why its taking out things I built yesterday. Like I made like 4 construction and made some DT but it seemed like they were deleted.
Do you happen to know the sector where the defense turret was located? That would give me look into it. Please let me know the world, as well.

You can post it here or send it to me in a note (especially of it's of any strategic value).
8)Johnny(Overlord)
Robert_E_Lee wrote on :
and times it can be bad other times not so much.
Assuming you're running Windows, it could be worth hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del and keeping the task manager running, sorted by CPU usage descending, and seeing if anything spikes when the freezes occur. That could help you track down the app that's locking up Windows.
It was in Wulaga around my capital.
10)Johnny(Overlord)
Beasty wrote on :
It was in Wulaga around my capital.
I checked the logs and don't see any discrepancies between what was created and what exists in the world now.

I'll send you a note with the full scan results to confirm.
Johnny, for some reason, my ships have not moved from the same place for like the last 2 days, I'm still waiting for my construction to get on land to build a barracks but for some reason, it doesn't get to land.
12)Johnny(Overlord)
Beasty wrote on :
Johnny, for some reason, my ships have not moved from the same place for like the last 2 days, I'm still waiting for my construction to get on land to build a barracks but for some reason, it doesn't get to land.
Can you please send me a note with the world, sectors, and unit IDs that are having the issues? I'll take a look and let you know what I find.
Page of 1
«Previous Page|Next Page»

Message Board

Categories

Search